Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Stealing Bicycles

So, to start off my project I need to steal some inspiration from my favorite songs.  Since I have very little experience crafting songs I am going to "steal" ideas from the songs I like by breaking them down and analyzing certain elements of the music and lyrics.

For a start I'm going to break down one of my favorite songs, Always Like This by Bombay Bicycle Club.  

The song starts off this slight whirling sound which is soon joined by a bass line and vocals, then a few guitar strums.  Then the vocals get into this broken-record repetitiveness until the drums kick in.  Then a short instrumental piece just before the first verse.  The instrumental piece has that catchy baseline which seems to have transferred to the guitar.  As the verse comes in the bass disappears and only the drums and the guitar remain.  As it comes to the chorus the bass comes back in and there is a little bit of a "duel" between the two guitars which switches from ear to ear.  Another verse is then presented with elements similar to the first verse.  Then the chorus repeats.  Then there is a little bit of an outro and the song ends.

The instruments in this song seem to be a two guitar parts, a bass part, a drum part, and vocals.


Overall, the most interesting element of the song is definitely the guitar and bass parts.  Like how the song is just constant chord progressions.  Personally, I find the way which the two guitars layer and go back and forth in the chorus interesting and might try to do a similar thing in my song.

1 comment:

  1. I love this song Ryan!!! Thanks for turning me on to it... I look forward to hearing your take on this style!

    ReplyDelete